Since I moved to my new home I have had nothing but problems with my internet.  Working with a new internet service provider is always a bit of a gamble, but since all of my neighbors in the area were not having troubles, I had to put my head down and figure out what was going on.

I was a little frustrated.

But I knew that I could figure out the issues if I just worked through the problem and eliminate everything it could be to figure out the solution.

So, I got to work.

I started things off like anyone would fixing a connection problem – I unplugged the router and modem and plugged them back in.  They took a little longer than I thought they would to fire back up, but once all of the lights were back on, I tried my laptop again.

No luck.

With those two pieces of hardware eliminated, I moved on to making sure I was connecting to the right network.  Just to make sure that I was connecting to the right provider, I used the IP lookup tool from IPAlf.com.

Right away I could see there was a problem.  According to the information provided by the site, I wasn’t connecting to my ISP – I was connecting to another one instead.

Digging a little deeper, I found that my computer was setup to connect to the open Wi-Fi of my neighbor instead of my own router.  Since the signal from the open network was weak, I was disconnecting from the internet a lot of the time.

All it took was to change a couple of settings on my computer and now it looks like the internet is working like it should.  I am happy that I finally was able to sort out my internet issues.